“Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty,” HBO’s big story about how the Los Angeles Lakers rose to fame in the 1980s, had almost too much to like.
If it wasn’t John C. Reilly’s superb performance as the crazy Lakers owner Jerry Buss, it was the fantastic supporting cast and the crazy amount of sports and cultural history packed into the 10-episode series.
The show “Showtime,” based on the book “Showtime” by Jeff Pearlman, may have stirred up some debate, as Lakers legends Jerry West and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar said they didn’t like it. But most people agree that the first season of “Winning Time” perfectly balanced serious storylines with outright fun.
According to Variety, HBO revived “Winning Time” for a second season in April 2022, when only the first five episodes of the first season had been shown. This means we’ll soon get a new set of shows that break the fourth wall and mix genres.
The first season, from 1979 to 1980, showed how the Laker era started. However, Pearlman’s book tells the team’s story throughout the 1980s. That means there are still a lot of stories to tell. This article tells you the release date, cast, plot, and more.
This Article Include
- When will the Season 2 of Winning Time come out?
- What will happen in Season 2 of Winning Time?
- How many episodes will be there for Winning Time Season 2?
- Who Is In The Cast Of Winning Time Season 2?
- Who Is In Charge Of Winning Time Season 2?
- Where To Watch Winning Time Season 2?
- Is There A trailer Available For Winning Time Season 2?
- Similar Web Series Like Winning Time
When will the Season 2 of Winning Time come out?
We’ve been waiting a long time, but now we know when season 2 of Winning Time will come out. With the release of the season’s official teaser video, TV Line confirms that the new season of Winning Time will start on Sunday, August 6, at 9 pm ET/PT.
What will happen in Season 2 of Winning Time?
The official summary of the latest season of the sports show is as follows:
“Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty season 2 continues to explore the professional and personal lives of the 1980s Los Angeles Lakers. This season hones in on the period just after the Finals in 1980 through 1984, culminating in the first professional rematch of the era’s greatest stars: Magic Johnson and Larry Bird.”
The magazine Esquire gave some more details about what will happen in Season 2 by saying:
“But this is a series about a dynasty. And what comes after winning that first is not just winning another. It’s exponentially harder. Everything that comes with winning and celebrity and all of the sort of challenges— especially in this moment in the ’80s—[it’s about] Magic and his nemesis Bird. These are the guys who turned basketball into the crucible of American culture that it became.”
How many episodes will be there for Winning Time Season 2?
The second season, which has seven episodes, will continue to look at the professional and personal lives of the 1980s Los Angeles Lakers. This time, it will focus on the time from right after the Finals in 1980 until 1984, when Magic Johnson and Larry Bird played each other for the first time in a professional game.
Who Is In The Cast Of Winning Time Season 2?
There is a huge lineup of main and recurring characters in the first season alone, all of whom could be easily assumed will make a return for a second season.
- John C. Reilly as Jerry Buss, the owner of the Lakers
- Jason Clarke as Jerry West, the general manager of the Lakers
- Quincy Isaiah as Magic Johnson, the star point guard of the Lakers
- Solomon Hughes as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, the star center of the Lakers
- Bo Burnham as Pat Riley, the coach of the Lakers
- Hadley Robinson as Jeanie Buss, Jerry’s daughter and future president of the Lakers
- Sally Field as Jessie Buss, Jerry’s mother, and co-owner of the Lakers
- Adrien Brody as Larry Bird, the star forward of the Celtics
- Michael Chiklis as Red Auerbach, the president and former coach of the Celtic
Who Is In Charge Of Winning Time Season 2?
According to Variety, in July of 2022, show co-creator and co-writer of the first ten episodes, Max Borenstein, “extended his overall deal with HBO for a further three years.” Even though the announcement was about his general contract and not just his job as showrunner for “Winning Time,” he will be with the network long enough to run the show for at least one more season.
He has talked about this in other places. In an interview with Indiewire, the showrunner said he was “incredibly proud of what we’ve done and excited to have a second season now to continue.” Borenstein’s life has greatly changed since he wrote “Winning Time.” He has written for films like “Kong: Skull Island” and “Godzilla vs. Kong” in the Monsterverse series.
Where To Watch Winning Time Season 2?
“Winning Time” is an HBO original series, which means you can watch it on HBO Max, HBO’s streaming service that has all of HBO’s material plus exclusive originals and films.
Is There A trailer Available For Winning Time Season 2?
Similar Web Series Like Winning Time
If you enjoyed the series “Winning Time,” which is based on the rivalry between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Boston Celtics during the 1980s, you might enjoy the following sports-related web series:
- “The Last Dance” – This documentary series chronicles the career of basketball legend Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls during the 1990s.
- “QB1: Beyond the Lights” – This series follows the journey of three high school quarterbacks as they navigate their final year before college football.
- “Friday Night Lights” – Although not a web series, this TV show follows a high school football team in the fictional town of Dillon, Texas, and explores the personal and professional lives of its characters.
- “All or Nothing” – This documentary series provides an inside look at various sports teams, including football (both NFL and Premier League), rugby, and more.
- “Last Chance U” – This series focuses on junior college football teams and showcases the lives of both the players and coaches as they strive to make it to the next level.
- “Sunderland ‘Til I Die” – This documentary series follows the fortunes of the English football club Sunderland AFC, providing an in-depth look at the team’s challenges and fan culture.
You Can Also Take A Look At Other Web Series’ Upcoming Seasons’ Release Dates We Have Covered:
- Somebody Somewhere Season 3: Is it renewed or cancelled?
- Bosch Legacy Season 2 Renewed at Amazon Freevee: Expected Release Date, Plot & Cast Revealed!
Keep your finger on the pulse of the latest entertainment news by following us on Pinterest. We’ll keep you updated on everything from new releases to the fate of your favorite shows.