The Little Mermaid is an upcoming American musical fantasy film directed by Rob Marshall and written by David Magee. It is a live-action adaptation of Disney’s 1989 animated film of the same name, loosely based on Hans Christian Andersen’s 1837 fairy tale. After months of waiting, fans finally have the answer to the question on everyone’s minds – when is The Little Mermaid’s release date? In this article, we will discuss all the details about this hotly anticipated new title and provide some insight into when it can be expected to drop.
This Article Include
The Little Mermaid Release Date
The Little Mermaid will premiere in theaters on May 26, 2023. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Disney announced in September 2021 that its live-action remake would premiere on Memorial Day weekend in 2023. The premiere date has been highly anticipated since it was announced that Halle Bailey would play Ariel in the live-action adaptation.
Want to discover other great Release date news? Check out some of our other articles.
- Barbie Movie 2023: Release Date
- Invincible Season 2 Potential Release Date
- Release Date for My Adventures With Superman
- Avatar: The Way Of Water Blu-Ray, DVD, Digital Release Date
- The Witcher Season 3 Release Date (Window)
What Is The Little Mermaid About?
The official synopsis for The Little Mermaid by Walt Disney Studios read:
“The Little Mermaid” is the beloved story of Ariel, a beautiful and spirited young mermaid with a thirst for adventure. The youngest of King Triton’s daughters and the most defiant, Ariel longs to discover more about the world beyond the sea and, while visiting the surface, falls for the dashing Prince Eric. While mermaids are forbidden to interact with humans, Ariel must follow her heart. She deals with the evil sea witch, Ursula, which gives her a chance to experience life on land, but ultimately places her life – and her father’s crown – in jeopardy.
Who is playing Ariel in The Little Mermaid?
It was announced in July 2019 that singer Halle Bailey would play the live-action version of Ariel. “After an extensive search, it was abundantly clear that Halle possesses that rare combination of spirit, heart, youth, innocence and substance — plus a glorious singing voice — all intrinsic qualities necessary to play this iconic role,” director Rob Marshall said in a statement at the time, per The Hollywood Reporter.
Who Are the Cast and Characters in The Little Mermaid’s Live-Action?
- Ariel, played by Halle Bailey, is the youngest daughter of King Triton and a mermaid princess who is fascinated by the human world.
- Jonah Hauer-King portrays Prince Eric, a human Ariel falls in love with after rescuing him from drowning.
- Daveed Diggs provides the voice of Sebastian, a devoted crab who serves as King Triton’s trusted servant and court composer and keeps an eye on Ariel.
- Awkwafina as Scuttle, a dim-witted northern gannet, and Ariel’s best friend.
- Jacob Tremblay provides the voice of Flounder, Ariel’s best friend, an anxious yet noble tropical fish.
- Noma Dumezweni as Eric’s mother, Queen Selina. She is a brand-new character in the movie.
- Javier Bardem portrays King Triton, Ariel’s overprotective father and the prejudiced monarch of Atlantica.
- Melissa McCarthy as Ursula, a treacherous sea witch with octopus tentacles whom Ariel makes a deal with to become a human, which is secretly part of Ursula’s plan to conquer Atlantica
The Little Mermaid First Look Poster
Disney released the first official poster for the upcoming live-action adaptation, which features Bailey dressed as Ariel under the sea. Bailey captioned the image on Instagram:
“Words can’t describe how immensely honored I feel to play the mermaid of my dreams, Ariel, in Disney’s The Little Mermaid.”
Bailey also shared a short clip on Instagram of herself as Ariel in her underwater world precisely one hundred days before the film’s theatrical release. Melissa McCarthy’s portrayal of the film’s ultravillain, Ursula, is seen for the first time in the new teaser.
Is There A Trailer For The Little Mermaid?
Yes! Currently, multiple trailers are available. During the 2023 Academy Awards, The Little Mermaid released its first full theatrical trailer, allowing us to learn more about the film’s plot and characters finally. As in the original Disney film, Halle Bailey’s Ariel rescues Prince Eric from a shipwreck in the new trailer.
Will You Be Able to Stream The Little Mermaid?
After The Little Mermaid’s exclusive theatrical run ends, the film will be available on the Disney+ streaming service. According to Disney’s past release patterns, the film will not be available for streaming until 45 to 90 days after its theatrical debut.